Friday, February 19, 2010

Cogito ergo possum

This morning I awoke to scrabbling and hissing. A ponderous and clumsy creature was running circuits on the pergola and the roof. I staggered out in the grey dawn and sat down on the garden seat that gives a view of the chimney pot.

The smaller of the two possums was staring back at me. In his expression I detected insouciance. He tilted his head slightly, almost cockily, then ducked down into the chimney pot. This is the one with the one way door installed, down into which possums are unable to duck.

His head came back out again. His look was sardonic. Then he dived again, and gave me the tail. When a brush tailed possum gives you the tail, you know about it.

Then the tail disappeared. I went back into the house and tapped the tiles to the left of the fireplace. There was a prolonged, ironic snarl.

I'm calling possum busters on Monday. The deal was if the possum comes back, they come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment