Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tooth and Justice

Stella called out. She needed tissues or towels. She had lost a tooth. It was bleeding a lot.
After the worst was over, she told me the tooth fairy was expected. She wrapped the tooth up with a paper towel and a fair bit of sticky tape, folded over into a ribbon, then wound the ribbon into a spiral, secured with more tape. The tooth fairy was going to have to work to get the tooth out of the wrapping.
I pointed out that the whole thing might be confusing. She should leave a note explaining that there was a tooth, and its whereabouts, on the dining table.
The next morning she told me the tooth fairy hadn't come. She looked at me accusingly. I said did you leave a note? She said no.
I said it's not too late. Write the note, leave it on the dining table, you never know, the tooth fairy might show up.
She wrote the note. I said good, that should do it. I'll just go and check that everything's all right over here.
I waited until the coast looked clear then walked into Stella's bedroom. As I made for the bed she jumped out from behind the door and said Boo!
This attracted Lizzie, who came in too.
I said, well, any sign of the tooth fairy? I walked over to the bed, and lifted the pillow, concealing what was under it from the line of sight of the girls. Then I slipped a two dollar coin under it and pocketed the elaborate tooth package.
Well, will you look at that, I said. While you were hiding behind doors the tooth fairy must have come.
Lizzie laughed. Stella came and took the two dollar coin, shooting me a dour look.
What does she want, state of the art special effects? Honour was satisfied. Everybody wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment